Friday, April 15, 2011

Success!

So I became a tiny bit obsessed with this book Half the Sky a few months ago, particularly the parts about Nepalese girls being trafficked to brothels in Mumbai. I was delighted to start working with HimRights on their anti-trafficking proposal and to learn about all the wonderful things they are doing to prevent trafficking at both a grassroots and national/international policy level.

I found out they were organizing a nine day trip to Mumbai to meet with NGOs working in trafficking and to actually visit the red light district of Mumbai to see first hand what the girls go through. Today I got up my courage to ask the organizer of the trip if I could go if I paid my own way. She said yes!! We'll see how it ends up as the logistics have already been a nightmare for her, but I would love to go, so wish me luck.