Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Trekking Photos: Mountain Views

Finally some photos!
More to come too if I get time before my travels to Mumbai.


A typical trekking trail on the way to Everest Base Camp. I literally ran this trail (when it was flat and downhill) on the last day from Namche to Lukla. (When it was uphill, I crawled.)

Namche Bazaar. Nestled into the mountainside.
Namche Bazaar: The Thamel equivalent of the Everest region.
Everything is either flown in and/or trekked here, but they have everything.
You can even get your pentys laundered.

A trail above Namche on the way deeper into the Himalayans.

EVEREST! it's the one right in the center that is partially obstructed by clouds :) But we saw it! It's funny, but it's not really the most impressive mountain to look at.

Tengboche Monastery - where my mom and stepdad got married.

The view from Tengboche
My favorite mountain on the right:  Aama Dablam

An early morning climb with my incredible Norwegian trekking companions and our fearless guide, Babu.

The highest we got (we didn't go all the way to basecamp) was Dingboche at about 4300m. You can see how the landscape changes - barren and flat - at just about 4000m. There were even patches of what reminded of the Alaskan tundra. 
A very photogenic yak.

I think this is my favorite photo from the trek: prayer flags and sunrise in the mountains.
 
One of my favorite mountains...of course I don't know what it's called.