Friday, April 15, 2011

In A Different Voice 1970s/The Game 2000s

I just finished In a Different Voice by Carol Gilligan. It's taken me forever to finish this book as I am struck with thoughts to journal after almost every paragraph I read.

It has helped me understand women, men, myself, and although one might find it to generalize based on too small a sample, I cannot deny that it has rung true to my experience and enlightened my own behavior in this especially difficult early-mid 20s phase of development.


The book identifies differences in the psychological development of men and women, positing that women mature into an ethics of care, while men mature by an ethics of justice...and how those systems of though relate to one's understanding of the self in relation to others...It describes how women come to conflate goodness with selflessness, and that relationships and responsibility to others are manifest in women’s actions, while men manifest their need to separate as they develop into adulthood. In addition to many other things, it has got me thinking about my work in Nepal, the responsibility I feel to return and care (in a way) for the girls that were not adopted. 

Anyway I would HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone - female or male. And if you read it, please let me know your thoughts!

That being said, I'm following up one of the seminal American feminist's texts with The Game by Neil Strauss. I realize I’m coming late to the buzz this book has created, but I am finally getting a chance to read it after hearing some rave reviews by men in my life and, of course, falling for the negging and peacocking that have become so notorious.

I must admit, I’m already offended at the use of two of America’s biggest feminist quotations to justify the supremely disrespectful behavior towards women…however I’m trying to keep an open mind. We’ll see if it lasts for 452 pages…