Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's in a name?

I must thank my cousin, Sneha, for the idea for this blog title! Perhaps a year or so ago a fb update informed me that one of the quizzes you can take about people popped out 'free bird' as my descriptor. I remember reading it and thinking that I liked the sound of it, and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to have been a portentous description of my life for the past year.

I was extremely fortunate to get perhaps the ONE job in the world for which degrees in Theater Studies and Ethnicity, Race, and Migration were essential, and as a result have gotten to travel to many different places and meet wonderful people and artists in countries around the world.

I also chose to quit my lovely Yale 'yob' in search of a certain type of freedom. I have been meditating (albeit off and on and briefly) about the nature of freedom and self-determination at a point when my peers seem to be asking themselves what kinds of freedoms they want in their lives and what kinds of jobs and lifestyles allow them to seek and achieve them. I realize more and more that what I always thought of as an arrogant, American obsession with personal freedoms (and freedom fries and freedom toast) is what, in a sense, I am now seeking (and what a true privilege it is, as so many people are simply fighting for this right to begin with, and not even able to exercise it). Hence the 'right to life, liberty, and freedom' has taken on new meanings for me in the past few years...and I hope this blog will illustrate interesting parts of my flight through the freebirdskies for the next few months.