Thursday, June 2, 2011

Snippets from My Day in the City


MORNING COFFEE
If you put broken cinnamon sticks in coffee, it tastes soooooo good.


AFTERNOON PURCHASES
I bought jeggings! They are the weirdest piece of clothing I have ever owned, but they are oh so comfortable and stretchy.



CLASS SMACKS ME IN THE FACE
I was coming back from dance class with a friend in a tuk tuk (a little biofuel-run public truck/bus that seats about eight to ten people). We were stopped at an intersection, and I looked out the window to see a super cute Nepali boy sitting in a large SUV on his mom's lap. He looked at me and I smiled and waved at him. He started to smile back and then, literally, turned up his nose and turned away. He was definitely like five years old. It would have been comical except that it was such an ugly thing to witness.


CITY SMELLS
Generally Kathmandu smells like urine, poo, sewage, and incense, especially in the summer. However, there is a huge flowering plant between my house and the main street, Lazimpat Road. At the end of the day, once they have been heated by the afternoon sun, the flowers release a lovely smell at beginning of the unpaved road leading to our house. I always look forward to it in the evenings.