Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Moving Out of TGH


When I was adopted 24 years ago, my mom and dad stayed in the Tibet Guest House (fondly called ‘TGH’ by the YNepal 2011 crew) for maybe five weeks before taking me to Amurica.

Since then, we have ALWAYS stayed at TGH. Even as the room rates increased and their clientele got fancier. We stayed whenever we traveled to Nepal. I stayed there for a summer on a Yale fellowship. We recommended TGH to our friends, and the YNepal volunteers have also stayed there four years in a row.

But now, operating on a smaller budget, I had to leave hotel livin’. So I moved into a new apartment this week! AND I LOVE IT! Now I am living with a former WFF colleague and a very nice Australian couple in Lazimpat (behind the ShangriLa Hotel). The area is very nice and peaceful compared to Thamel. The main Lazimpat road has everything you could possible want for much more Nepali prices than Thamel…eggs for 7 rupees each, homemade yogurt for 35 rupees, and a bundle of vegetables for 100 rupees (approximately 70 rupees to a US dollar).

And I’m loving my room – it’s larger than any room I have had since high school, and the place is absolutely lovely. I had a short conversation with the landlord today, and she said that I could come back and rent from her if I was ever in Nepal again – so I’m very very excited by it all I could just spit.

I was worried about electricity, but monsoons have given us much more power than before, and the charm of candlelight is certainly growing on me. We have hot water most of the time! And we even have a didi who comes to do our laundry and clean our house twice a week…how sweet is that?! Although, it definitely makes me think of White Tiger a little too much…but I guess that’s a subject for another post.